In this video, Dr. Terry Wahls tells the inspiring story of how she reversed multiple sclerosis after seven years of deterioration and went from wheelchair to walking — simply by changing her diet!
What is Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?
The Mayo Clinic explains:
“Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disease in which your immune system attacks the protective sheath (myelin) that covers your nerves. Myelin damage disrupts communication between your brain and the rest of your body. Ultimately, the nerves themselves may deteriorate, a process that’s currently irreversible.
Signs and symptoms vary widely, depending on the amount of damage and which nerves are affected [MS symptoms may include blurred vision, weak limbs, difficulties with walking, tingling sensations, unsteadiness and fatigue] . Some people with severe MS may lose the ability to walk independently or at all, while others experience long periods of remission during which they develop no new symptoms.
There’s no cure for multiple sclerosis. However, treatments can help speed recovery from attacks, modify the course of the disease and manage symptoms.”
Today more than 2,300,000 people around the world have MS.
Food As Medicine
Using Paleo principles and Functional Medicine, Dr. Wahls radically transformed her diet. It consisted of:
- 3 cups daily (equal to one dinner plate, piled high) of green leaves, such as kale, which are high in vitamins B, A, C, K, and minerals
- 3 cups daily of sulfur-rich vegetables from the cabbage and onion families, mushrooms, and asparagus
- 3 cups daily of brightly colored vegetables, fruits, and/or berries, which are a good source of antioxidants
- Wild fish for animal-based omega-3 fatty acids
- Grass-fed meat
- Organ meats for vitamins, minerals, and CoQ10
- Seaweed for iodine and selenium
She also eliminated processed foods, gluten and dairy (casein).
As there are several studies linking MS and vitamin D I would also add optimizing your vitamin D levels.
You can boost your levels by:
- getting 10-15 minutes of sunlight per day
- eating foods such as salmon, certain mushrooms like portabello, egg yolks, canned tuna and fortified sources.
If you or someone you know has MS, please make sure to watch this life-changing video. I also recommend you to buy her book: The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles.
Wishing you health, happiness & healing