Well, in this short, but information-packed video from AsapSCIENCE, they show us how a regular meditation practice can:
- decrease anxiety and stress,
- increase pain tolerance,
- improve memory, self awareness and goal setting,
- make you a more compassionate human being (increased empathy),
- increase the length of our telomeres** (the protective protein complexes at the end of our chromosomes) by help lower our stress levels,
**A shortened telomere length has been been linked to several diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer’s.
- decrease blood pressure,
- increase the variability of your heart rate (which plays a critical role in properly transporting oxygen and carbon dioxide throughout the body),
- change our brain waves (meditation leads to higher levels of alpha waves) which reduces feelings of negative mood, tension, sadness and anger,
- change our brain’s shape and size (!). It can lead to a decrease of gray matter in the parts of the brain that are associated with fear and anxiety as well as lead to an increase of grey matter in areas associated with learning, memory processing and emotion regulation,
- help us produce more antibodies and increase our immune function.
Now that you know how meditation can affect your body, I hope that you’ll consider giving it a try!
Wishing you health, happiness & higher levels of alpha waves =)